An illegal burn that got out of control caused a large grass fire Jan. 19 north of LaPorte. A passer-by reported a fire in the trees in the area of Larimer County Road 60 and Savvy Place. Preliminary information reported the fire at less than one acre but growing rapidly.

Upon arrival firefighters found a quickly moving grass fire and called for additional units. Units from Poudre Fire Authority, Larimer County Sheriff’s Office and Wellington Fire Protection District assisted.

The fire was declared under control at 3:22 p.m. after scorching an estimated 80-100 acres. One outbuilding was damaged. There were no evacuations or road closures.

Poudre Fire Authority would like to remind all citizens that, although it might be cold outside, grass and brush conditions remain extremely dry.

A permit from the Larimer County Department of Health and Environment (LCDHE) should be obtained before any open burning in Larimer County.

Information on open burning or obtaining an open burning permit can be found in the following three ways:

• Visit the online application at: http://www.larimer.org/burnpermit/index.htm
• In person at the Larimer County Environmental Health Division 1525 Blue Spruce Dr, Fort Collins, CO 80524
• Contacting the LCDHE by phone at 970-498-6775.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share →

2 Responses to Illegal burn gets out of control, scorches 80 acres near LaPorte

  1. Pat Reed says:

    I find it that people that think they are in the country can do what ever they please. This fire was a perfect example, of someone that does not even live in the area to think they can do what they want, when ever they want.
    This fire was near the back of my property.

  2. Kay says:

    I also live in the area. I hope this man is fined so much he has to sell the land. I don’t want him as a neighbor. We are lucky the fire department was able to contain the fire. The grass he was burning was knee high with 20+ dead cottonwood trees and he thought he could keep it under control with no means of putting it out. Thank you firefighters.